This post is by Guiomar Campbell Dipl Ac., Sh. RN:
Summer is the most wonderful time of the year. Those of us who live in Canada really appreciate the sunshine, warmer temperatures and the opportunity to spend time outdoors. Since our summers are so short, it’s especially frustrating when you get sick or feel low on energy.
If you want to enjoy the summer time to the fullest, make sure to nourish your body and keep your immune system strong by following these tips:
- Drink 8 cups of water a day starting first thing in the morning;
- Eat small amounts of food every three hours to keep your metabolism going;
- Do not eat and drink at the same time;
- Be relaxed and only focus on your food when you are eating;
- Prepare your food ahead of time and store it in the fridge.
- Choose natural foods as opposed to food from boxes;
- Drink green tea;
- For women specially, avoid skipping meals, eat foods that are warm, light and easy to digest, and try to avoid goods or aromas that are highly chemicalized;
- Cook with spices such as turmeric, cumin, coriander and fennel to aid digestion;
- Take real rest during your menstrual cycle;
- Eat lots of green leafy vegetables. Green leafy vegetables contain a wide range of vitamins and minerals as well as high doses of chlorophyl, digestible proteins and enzymes. The most powerful greens are: spinach, dandelion greens, kale, watercress, parsley, lettuce, endive, chicory, broccoli, sunflower sprout, buckwheat sprout and mustard sprouts;
- Include seaweed in your diet such as nori, kelp, dulce and wakame sea weed. Because you don’t need to cook seaweed it is great to use as seasoning on salads or vegetables. The chemical composition of seaweeds is so close to human blood plasma that perhaps their greatest benefit is regulating and purifying our blood system. According to researches sea vegetables have ten times more calcium than milk and eight times as much as beef. The most remarkable results with seaweeds we see in boosting weight loss and deterring cellulite build up;
- Choose a liquid mineral supplement that contains sea vegetables and aloe vera plant. Aloe Vera stimulates cell growth and tissue healing. It has 20 of 22 amino acids, including 8 essential nutrients. It is an excellent source of vitamin B12. It aids in detoxifying hormone balancing, sleep enhancement, digestive support and strengthening the immune system. Aloe vera caries lots of minerals and is cooling in nature. It has a very gentle effect in the colon and powerful detoxing properties.
And most importantly, be happy, peaceful and keep smiling!
Have a great summer!